BangkokThailand

Bangkok, Thailand, March 13th, 2025

A chill out day today after a jet lag and Singha-induced hangover and a violent thunderstorm this morning.
Now baking hot again after a light Thai lunch, an oil massage and a leisurely stroll through Lumphini Park.

The 360 rai (about 57 hectares) plot of land, formerly known as Thung Sala Daeng, was the private property of King Rama VI. In 1925, the king donated the land to the nation to be used as a fair ground. The Siamrat Phiphitthaphan Trade Fair was held here to promote Thai commodities and industrial productions among Thais and foreigners.

In World War II, the park was a Japanese Army camp. At the entrance, the royal monument of the king was built for his memorial. There is also a clock tower of Chinese-styled structure built in 1925.

Today, it lies in the heart of the main business district and is in the Lumphini sub-district, on the north side of Rama IV Road, between Ratchadamri Road and Witthayu Road.